One of last year’s most talked about and (thus far) most honored films hits store shelves this week. Though it’s tough to know what Argo‘s chances of winning the Best Picture Oscar are, at least it’ll benefit from likely big rental numbers. Otherwise, we’ve also got Joe Wright’s latest period piece with Keira Knightley, a Nickelodeon teen comedy, a fairly well-reviewed horror flick, and a ton of reissues. See below for the full list!
Also available this week:
- A Blu-ray release of 1928’s The Thief of Bagdad (93%), starring Douglas Fairbanks (not to be confused with the 1940 version, which is available in a Criterion Collection edition).
- Several new Blu-ray packages for Pixar’s Monsters, Inc. (96%) are available this week, including a 5-disc Ultimate Collector’s Edition, which has a few new small extras but isn’t a gigantic improvement on the 2009 Blu-ray release.
- The Criterion Collection DVD/Blu-ray release of Elia Kazan’s On the Waterfront (100%), featuring one of Marlon Brando’s most memorable performances.
- Last year’s Oscar winner for Best Documentary, Undefeated (96%), about an inner-city high school football team pushing towards its first playoff win in the history of the school.
- The 3D Blu-ray re-release of Tony Scott’s Top Gun (54%).
- For you ’80s kids: A Blu-ray of The Monster Squad (53%), about a group of boys battling the classic monsters of the Universal lineup.